Sunday, November 18, 2007

Heads Up

I might not be able to post much today, as I'm going to D.C. to pick up two guinea pigs from a shelter, on behalf of the rescue for which I foster. These girls were found in a box by a dumpster with a "Fr33" sign. They won't show up on Petfinder, Petharbor, or the shelter's website. They are just two out of thousands of invisible and homeless guinea pigs. The ones who I post are a small fraction of those in need. Of those I post only a small fraction will get adopted.

Today feels like a good day to help a homeless animal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are the poor girls doing now ? I can't believe people sometimes ! Thank Goodness for people like you.

S.B. said...

Thank you for asking! The poor girls turned out to be poor boy and girl, so that made housing them a bit tricky. We only had one spare 2x4 cage which we divided in half, so they're a bit squashed. They're going to stay with a foster who is an amazing guinea pig expert on Friday, and they'll have more space there.

They are both beautiful, white with brown spots. They're pudgy, which is surprising considering how they were found. They have mites and some feet troubles, but are very sweet. They are corner-trained and familiar with veggies, so they were most likely pets at one point.

I'll be at ease once they're pets again--this time in a forever home. People are really unbelievable sometimes, you're right.

Anonymous said...

Aww . I hope they find a forever home soon! I have adopted 4 guineas through your postings ! They love their 2 story guinea condo :)

S.B. said...

That's great! Are they your first guinea pigs? Which ones did you adopt? I would love to update the listings :)

You should join GuineaLynx and post pictures, I'd love to see.

Anonymous said...

I adopted two through Craigslist that were in Portsmouth and two from Willamsburg that were on gpan but linked to your site. I will definitely join the guinealynx

S.B. said...

That's great! I'm so happy. I'm GuineaPinny on there, give a shout once you join.