Monday, October 29, 2007

A Happy Adoption Story

Well, I started thinking that posting so many homeless guinea pigs could get depressing. So I made a shout out to my good e-friends at GuineaLynx for some happy adoption stories. The first Adoption Profile I'm going to share is about RavenShade and two of her piggies.

Ravenshade has helped the homeless guinea pig population by donating time, supplies, and money to rescues/shelters. She also transports guinea pigs to their forever homes [like to drive? Help a piggy train!] and encourages people not to br33d or buy. The origins of Jules and Neal are local. Jules is from Montgomery County Humane Society and Neal is from Small Angels.

What made you opt to adopt: "There's no reason to br33d or buy when so many pigs of every shape, color, age, gender, br33d and size are looking for good homes. We did once br33d and that cost us the lives of some very special pigs."

How she prepared for the pigs: "I've had pigs a long time, so I already had the supplies. I created quarantine cages for them when they first arrived (already had Steve and/or Steve and Jules)."

How has the pig changed from his adoption to now? "Jules was always a sweet pig. He became one of those really personable pigs that everyone loves and who loves everyone. He was such a good boy." Here's Jules hiding in a sweater. Sadly, he passed away in the winter of 2005.












"Neal was a spastic 6 month old who didn't want to play nice with others. He's since grown in to a 3+ lb. pig who owns the cage. He's gotten a lot nicer with age, although he's still grumpy and picky about his food."











More about the pigs:
"Neal is grumpy and not a morning pig. He lurks in his double wide pigloo (he's huge) and waits for me to tap the roof before he comes out to eat.

"Jules was always nervous about being carried. Once, I put him at the bottom of the stairs and he hopped up. I didn't train him. He would hop up three times before he got tired. Going down stairs still required people power."
Why are you glad you didn't go to a br33der or pet store? "I have great pigs and feel good about giving an animal a new chance and a good life. There is no need for a pet pig to have a pedigree.

"Three of my current pigs are from someone who didn't stop her pet store pigs from br33ding. My mother and I took a couple of sows off her hands and one was pregnant. That sow only had one baby sow and the others were boars. We split them up. My mom only has sows. I only have boars. Both the mother and sister died very suddenly and very young. One of the brothers had a tumor removed. Inbr33ding (either by accident or for show) creates genetic problems and the pigs suffer for it later.

"Max was my last pet store pig (before I learned about rescues). He died at 4.5 yrs old. Cancer. Steve was a mis-sexed pet store purchase. I got him from a friend of a friend after she discovered the mistake (her "sow" got her sow pregnant). Besides being mis-sexed, pigs are frequently sick from pet stores."


Advice and personal experience on introducing loved ones to the pigs: "Kids are easy. Pigs are cute. Kids like cute. Pigs make cute sounds, they look cute when they eat, they are soft. All I had to do was introduce them.

"My husband likes the pigs because I like the pigs. He's a softie when it comes down to it. It's really sweet to see him try to feed them and befriend them. He was so supportive when Steve and then Jules were sick.

"It also helps to have a good "pigbassador" - a good, calm pig that doesn't freak out around people. Steve and Jules and now Gus are good pigbassadors."

Thank you to RavenShade and to all adopters! You're life savers.

No comments: